"Naga" means dragon, an auspicious sign of the Chinese zodiac. The house is designed by Dutch architect, Joost van Grieken using traditional Balinese and Javanese building materials in a very modern minimalist style. The house has been written up in a number of books and architectural magazines as part of the new Bali school of architecture. The long stretched piece of land gives far views over the Wos River - valley, is mainly facing the east, the direction of the sun and moonrise.
The modern designed pavilions were completed in spring 2001 and consist the following. From the entrance pavilion a walkway leads through a lush garden to the central courtyard. Here is the access to main pavilion from where you can experience your first stunning views over the valley.
In this long-house style pavilion the open dining space is accommodated, together with 2 spacious bedrooms. In between the entrance from the gallery to the bedrooms is a private comfortable sitting area located.
Via the dining area, walking over stepping-stones of the main focus fishpond, one reaches the large living pavilion, where the kitchen and the staff quarters are housed. While traditional Balinese and Javanese materials are used throughout, the pavilions with the thatched roofs appear to be modern, so is most of the furniture.
By using limited selection of materials Joost enhances the simplicity and purity of the house.
Lombok grasses form the thatch of the roof, but bengkerai wood is used in the roof framework, as well as for all the door and window fittings, and the octagonal load bearing columns; the latter are supported by resilient Javanese white stone. All decorative and art works have been collected by the owner during trips all over Asia. The lighting in the pavilions and gardens create another serene atmosphere during the evenings.
- Land area 2000m²
- Guest capacity ideally up to 4 guests
- 2 bedrooms in total with overhead fans only, 2 king size bed
- 2 bathrooms with bathtubs, 1 powder room
- Fresh water pool - 18 x 4 meters
- Garden - large tropical with nice grassy areas
- Audio systems in bedrooms and dining room
- Safety box in one bedroom
- Back up generator
- Electric hot water
- Modern fully equipped kitchen
- Satellite phone
- Live in staff quarters
- Bose Stereo system
- Wireless internet
- Airport transfer
- Car rental
- In-villa massages with proper massage table
- Limited in villa menu
- Music & dance performances
- Outside laundry services
- Catering for lunch and dinner parties
- Collection of books and music CD's
- Food & beverage shopping at cost by staff
- Villa information booklet together with publications for island sightseeing, touring, dining & shopping